Within 2 minutes of coming home from the airport Thursday morning there were (what felt like) 33 things going on among 5 family members (6 including Quimby). Now, friends... I've debated on even trying to explain this because I think this is where storytelling in person does so much better justice than a written blog. I will try though, to paint a little picture of the perfect chaos that makes my family The Best. By paint a picture, I mean with no consistency or fluidity to certain snapshots of the past 2 days.
The kitchen chairs have all broken in the same place - the rung where people put their feet. (Well, every chair but mine has broken and I use this as a means to brag). With three grown children who are now back in the house for the holiday weekend and parents who have rotated the chairs after having the kitchen floors done, each of us were caught off guard by the noise and sudden fall of one of these rungs (that had been put back in), going out from under our feet (that we shouldn't be placing there because we're not 7). Picture a fork/arm/head falling 6 inches lower because this is the chain reaction of when your feet are up on something that goes out from under you. Make sense?
The bar that holds all the clothes in the hall closet collapsed. Wednesday night apparently. As Dad carried my suitcase to my bedroom because "clairebear you've GOT to take care of that shoulder" and yes my bedroom, still with pink walls and a twin bed, but also inclusive of furniture from a deceased great aunt (that belongs in an Ann of Green Gables Living room), he mentions this. He also casually mentions, "moms closet fell last week too. So i don't know what else or who else is gonna fall, but something's gonna happen." Classic Dave Wood, how i love my Dad.
Shampoo and Conditioner in the shower. Who bought it last time? Is Claire using Audrey's or is Emily using Claire's face wash because that stuff is expensive and seriously close the curtain all the way because that causes mildew and why are there not enough clean towels around here, honestly there are like 15 dirty ones in the hamper and I am hurrying Audrey, but Claire insisted on showering before me because she was in a sweaty sportsbra but she's the running weirdo who HAS to run before Thanksgiving and Claire you could help peel some potatos, Ok, says me, please don't yell from downstairs! By the way, close the lid to the saline solution girls, its just a good habit... asks Dad.
The Family Room. Dad sits in a chair from the dining room in the family room because his back is bad and the couch is too soft, but Emily can't see over Dad's 6'3" inch self so is so close to Claire on the couch but Claire's foot is in Emily's face and both are like, "can you scoot over?" Audrey wants to know why everyone is talking but seriously we've all seen this rerun of NCIS and can't we watch the Heroes thing on CNN? Oh look OctoMom is being featured by Matt Lauer and Dad gets up because he "doesn't want to hear from this nutcase" and oh I love Matt Lauer soo much, Emily especially is a fan of his dynamic and camera presence with Meredith Viera and CAN EVERYBODY STOP TALKING PLEASE because we cannot even hear what he is saying! And by the way... why do we have 5 remotes?
Audrey is typing on her blackberry and seriously Audrey, this is the stuff you yell at Claire about and Good point Emily as Audrey gets up to finish her "memo" in the kitchen and Claire opens her macbook and Claire honestly that is the same thing as being on a blackberry and [insert mom] claire how much did you pay for that? [insert audrey] why do you have a mac (because audrey is the photographer and YES that's artistic but claire wanted a personal computer and treated herself to a macbook after resigning from Brooks okay?) and CAN EVERYBODY STOP TALKING PLEASE because we cannot even hear [what Matt Lauer] is saying.
This does my family no justice. This does the hilariousness, but also the genuine amazingness of my family no, zip, zero, zilch...justice. My Mom, My Dad, Audrey, Emily, and my Quimby Girl. I love Virginia. I love that I have best friends I am so glad to come home to see, and i also love that i have a family i am glad to come home to and see. I love knowing that tomorrow as we drive to Maryland to see The Greene's, there will be arguments over who has to sit in the middle in the back, how the heat is too hot for Emily but Audrey is always cold, and Honestly Dave (says mom), you don't need to comment on every driver!
As I wrap up this blog, Audrey can be overheard as saying (and i quote) "I could do without the Wizard of Oz. Apart from Somewhere Over the Rainbow, its just creepy."
love. love. LOVE them.
and i hope you feel the same about yours.
Happy Thanksgiving (as it continues into the weekend for many of us).
CW
As I wrap up this blog, Audrey can be overheard as saying (and i quote) "I could do without the Wizard of Oz. Apart from Somewhere Over the Rainbow, its just creepy."
love. love. LOVE them.
and i hope you feel the same about yours.
Happy Thanksgiving (as it continues into the weekend for many of us).
CW
i love this LOVE THIS. i mean i can't choose favorites but if i COULD i would say this is my favorite post. ever.
ReplyDeletehi wood family from miller family!
:)
I love love love big families! And all the chaos that goes along with it!!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE family dynamics!
ReplyDelete